Finding mold on your roof or under your shingles can be quite alarming. Don’t worry! Although W&W Roofing and Home Improvement doesn’t offer mold removal services, we have some tips that will help you have a mold-free roof and a more attractive home in no time.
Although not harmful, molds on your roof will negatively affect the overall appearance of your home.
Typically, a moldy roof consists of algae, moss, and mold. Algae may look slimy green, black, or appear in blue/green streaks. Mosses are tiny plants that can cover your roof in dense green mats.
To fully determine the condition of the roof, the first step is to get a thorough mold inspection of the attic. Roof molds typically originate from the attic, and are often due to the presence of roof leaks.
How to Clean Your Roof
There are several ways to clean your roof from moss, algae and mold. Use these tips as your guide:
- Safety first. In order to clean your roof, you have to be on top of it. Protect yourself by using a harness. Alternatively, contacting a roof repair company that specializes in the removal of mold will ensure your safety, and get the job done right.
- Power washers, although easy to use, can damage your shingles. Instead, use a hose attached with a nozzle to avoid damage.
- To remove algae, spray the roof with 1 part water and 1 part bleach solution. Let the solution sit for approximately 60 minutes and rinse.
- If the bleach and water solution doesn’t work for your roof, trisodium phosphate may do the trick. Mix one cup for every gallon of water and spray where needed.
- There are other commercially available cleaning solutions on the market. To avoid damage, please make sure to read the labels first to determine the right product for your roof.
Many homeowners consider waterproofing their roof to prevent moisture and growth. Although waterproofing is a great option for maintenance, getting help from an exceptional roofing company will ensure long-lasting results.
If you are concerned about the integrity of your roof due to mold issues, contact W&W Roofing and Home Improvement for an inspection or a re-roofing estimate.